Monday, January 7, 2013

We Made It to 2013!

I'm glad to report that my holidays were quite fantastic, not hampered at all by the rather anticlimactic Mayan apocalypse! But really, I did have a wonderful Christmas break. Here's a quick review: I got to spend a lot of time with my family and friends, worked a decent amount, had a great girl's night with my coworkers, watched an external fixation of a broken leg, went archery shooting (SO FUN!), went dancing at a bar for my cousin's 21st, made some freaking awesome christmas cookies, and saw Les Mis twice. I always enjoy my time at home and I'll admit that it was pretty hard to leave for school again. I've come to realize how amazing my parents are and how much they do for me. I really appreciate them and I actually think they are pretty fun to hang out with. Thankfully, a few of my Logan friends got together for a homemade dinner last night, which made everything much easier. I really am pretty lucky to have great friends in Logan and at home! I definitely wouldn't be as mentally stable without them.

I do want to update you on my vet school applications. I'm sad to say I've been rejected from Mississippi, Washington/Utah, and Oregon. I'm now only waiting to hear from Oklahoma, but I'm not holding out much hope. It's disappointing, but I've been surprisingly optimistic about the whole thing. I knew that with my terrible grades it was definitely a long shot and I know I'll be a better applicant for next cycle. I've been working on my plan B, which is taking 3-4 upper level bio classes at the university near home next fall and spring. This way I can be home and work at the clinic while still going to school and improving my grades. I'm also planning on getting more vet experience in the summer, probably from an equine vet. I'm retaking the GRE probably early July. Also, I'm planning a trip to Paris for the end of July!!! Everything is still in the conceptual phase, I haven't really figured anything out yet. I just decided that I need to go now before I get hung up on more responsibility. I'm sick of waiting for other people to go with me, so it looks as if I'll be going alone. Feel free to tell me how crazy or awesome this idea is! Anyways, with a plan B like this I'm actually ok with having to apply again. Like I said, I'll be a better applicant and hopefully a better person the second time around.

Classes start this week, which means I'm starting my last semester as an undergrad at USU. So crazy! It definitely doesn't seem like it's been five years. This semester I'm taking physics 2 (again :p), biochem and lab, a communication class, equine assisted therapy, and applied equine repro. I'm particularly excited about the equine classes. The repro class is supposed to be very hands on, we will get to do AI's, breeding soundness exams, preg checks, and hopefully get to help with foaling! The first six weeks is lecture, but after that it's all hands on! Watching a foal being born is definitely on my bucket list, so I'm really hoping for that opportunity. Physics is definitely going to be my hardest class, as usual. Everything else should be relatively easy, just maybe a bit time consuming.

Of course, I must post the quite cliched New Year's Resolutions! Most of these are specifically for this semester, but we can count them as New Year's Resolutions anyways :)
1. Don't skip classes. Especially physics.
2. Go to the physics tutor lab weekly to get help with the homework and prepare for exams.
3. Learn how to study at home. I have a hard time concentrating at home, but I need to learn how before I can get a dog!
4. Speak up in class. I have a bad habit of being too shy to answer a question, even if I know the answer.
5. Be more active. I'm planning on getting a pass to fitness classes from my school with a few girlfriends so hopefully this one won't be too hard. Can't wait to get back into yoga and weightlifting!
6. Get at least B's in all my classes. Need to get my GPA up!
7. Blog at least once a month. Blogging is a great way for me to de-stress and make sense of my feelings, so I should really do it more often! Plus, I'm sure my large gathering of followers are so sad when they don't hear from me ;) lol

I'll leave you with a few pics from the break! Stay sweet friends :)

Archery! 


A free kitty at work that I REALLY wanted...
My kick ass Christmas cookies! 
Sincerely,
          Me

No comments:

Post a Comment