Sunday, July 1, 2012

Floating By On The Days Of Summer

It's the first day of July, my favorite month of the entire year! There are many, many reasons why I love July, a few of them being the 4th of July, the 24th (Utah's pioneer day), the usually beautiful weather, hanging with my family and friends at home, and, of course, my birthday! Unfortunately, I won't be home until the 18th when my summer classes end, but I'm trying to make the most of it. I am going home tuesday afternoon to spend the 4th at home, so that's a definite plus :) really looking forward to it!

This weekend has been one of the best (out of like 2 or 3) that I have spent in Logan this summer. Friday, I was invited by one of my coworkers (who happens to be my last boyfriend's roommate...) to go floating down a river in Idaho on Saturday with a bunch of other people. I had an absolute blast! It ended up being about a two and a half hour float down the river on inner tubes. There were even a few little waterfalls along the way! Made a few new friends out of it :)

Today hasn't been too exciting, one of those nice lazy summer days. I've just been lying around nursing the horrible sunburn I got on Monday. I think it borders upon being a second degree burn... ouch :( I guess that's what I get for not thinking to put sunscreen on! The highlight of my day has been cooking and baking. I've been craving some sweets lately... ok honestly I always crave sweets lol. Anyways, I decided to make some no bake chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal cookies. They are setting up right now, but I did lick the spoon and it tasted pretty darn delicious! For dinner I made tofu parmesan. It's the first time I've ever cooked tofu so I was kindof nervous about it, but it turned out great! The breading is maybe not as crispy as I would like, but other than that it's fabulous! The tofu is a little interesting, the texture is different than chicken (duh) but not in a bad way. It's a lot less chewy, more softish. Going vegetarian is something I have thought about a lot recently, but I've never really known how to make the transition. I'm not claiming to be a veggie just yet, but learning how to cook tofu is definitely a step in the right direction!

I also managed to brainstorm a bit for my personal statement for vet. school applications! I was reading a vet student's blog and I got really inspired remembering a few of my experiences and thinking about qualities that I wanted to talk about. I've still got a long way to go with it, but I'm glad I worked on it a bit today! It seems like the direction I want to go is going to be slightly different than the advice I got from one of my professors, but I think it will still achieve what he told me a personal statement needs to; that is, tell them why you want to be a veterinarian and tell them why they should accept you into their program. I have two great experiences I want to talk about that illustrate that and then maybe talk about my bad grades and how that has made me a better student, person, and therefore a better applicant. Although that last one is a bit iffy... but my grades are pretty dismal (from a vet school POV) and I would love the chance to explain to the admissions committees why that shouldn't be a reason not to admit me. Any admissions committee is going to be concerned about that anyways, so why not put it in my PS? Although there is an explanations section so I might put it in there, We will see!

Off to eat my cookies!!! :) Stay sweet!

     Sincerely,
           Me



No comments:

Post a Comment